This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by munch View Post

Viva la difference...only mad dogs and Englishmen, they say...

...you can have it...
    Making the most of it while I can mate.
    Dont get me confused with someone who gives a fuck

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post

Been 30+ last few days around the traps of Brisbane. Bring it on...
      You pussy
      Had 2 days out bush this week that were 45+degC
      That was the coldest reading I could get outside the caravan.
      We went to bed & turned the A/C orfski and you can hear the sweat pouring out of ya
      Woke up several times in a wet spot & I've got pictures if ya want
      But then the rains came & cooled it all down for a few pleasent days of high twenties
      I just called, to say........go get pharked

Comment

• Roudy weather here. Started at 12 degrees this morning. Still well under 20 (17?) Lots of short sharp showers with wind - lots of smaller thunderstorms. I don't think we've got many mm of rain today, but it's hard to tell. It's all going in, rather than running off. That's good. It might be a good day to climb up on the roof and replace the air con filters, but the wind and showers puts me off. Might try another day when it's not so breezy. Sooner or later we'll need the air con working at its best. For the mo, it is not a priority.
        The trick is to grow old. "Growing up" is less important than surviving.

Comment

• Stinking friggen hot here.

36D today with an overnight of 25. 70% humidity with an 80% chance of a thunderstorm.

Heres hoping for a good old tropical downpour to cool things down

Comment

• Windy as all phuck and dust and shit blowin' everywhere
            Pleasantly coolish though
            I just called, to say........go get pharked

Comment

• Another 12 degree morning. Gusty, Southerly wind. This close to the much warmer times, it is pleasant enough. Good weather for getting physical out of doors.

Comment

• Just fukken windy, bloody noisy trees...
                Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon!
                Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, and save the collapse and tie up.

Comment

• Hope that Alan is ok he's very very close to the fire.
                  Thinking of you mate.

===================
                  Some mistakes are too much fun,
                  to only make once.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue View Post
                    Hope that Alan is ok he's very very close to the fire.
                    Thinking of you mate.
                    Thanks Blue. We are fine. The fire started on Thursday in Campvale when the winds brought a tree down on powerlines.
                    We had 2 crews out quickly but with 75km/hr winds it was gone. It was moving from west to east along Richardson Rd
                    so was not threatening Medowie but heading straight to Salt Ash. One of the biggest problem was road closures with no access
                    to Nelson Bay area or Tanilba Bay area. The winds were worse yesterday, up to 90km/hr, but a lot of the fire was moving into
                    previously burnt ground which slowed it down. Spotting ahead of the fire and ember attack were the main threats and crews were
                    just doing property protection. The winds have eased today and they are getting on top of it. I haven't been on a truck but have been
                    manning the station and organising crews.
                    Allan

Comment

• Thank you to Allan and all the other men and women who serve their community when the need arises.

Comment

• Nothings changed up here, just stinking hot with high humidity, 49 in the sea container and 35 in the shed. Bring on some rain please

Comment

• Well we had some weather. We got called Sunday night to Jerilderie - that's right, some distance to the North, where we sorted a tree down preventing access problem in the town then did a recon on some larger jobs out of town. We did some internal tapping to protect contents open to the sky in case it rained, then went back yesterday to do the deed.

They are: Minor damage to tiled roof. This was a "warm up" only. The small house was a write-off (fully insured) anyway, it was unattended. We aren't going to do anything without someone who owns it to proceed. All sorted by phone. The biggie was a large two story house which had lost all iron and battens except for one hip, also much plaster in the ceilings - about a third of it. There were loose rafters, battens were available, and we needed to fit them to support tarps to close the roof.

So we (3 of us) spent 12 hours fixing battens and putting tarps on the roof. We got additional crew for the last 4 hours, by which time we were half finished with the tarping. This was a 7 tarp job. You do need lots of people at that stage to prep tarps, move them to the roof and fix lines. I think I went to bed around 2:00 AM last night, having been fully engaged in SES activities since Sat AM Having done 80 + days Sat and Sunday on the river, and a fatal bike prang way off in the bush Sat night. It's been a big few days. I've spent the day resting mostly.

That was a small tornado.
                          Last edited by Jstava; 11th December 2018, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• Sorry about the way the photos are loaded. I'm a little klutzy about this, but you get the idea.

Comment

• Looks like a rough day. Stay safe.
                              Allan

Comment

• Yeah, it was a big day following a couple of big days. I took the pics, replaced the tiles, and the battens - well, my share anyway. Not bad for an old fart.

Actually, I'd rather stay on the ground and rig tarps and operate chain saws if the truth be known.

Much preferable to being the Agency Commander in an ICC in support of other agencies to broader emergencies (such as big fires), which I do regularly. Last year, I was given a kit for the role, which included a phone, a laptop and radio set. I don't use it often enough to feel confident, though I am getting better.

I haven't had a deployment yet this fire season, so haven't got the kit. It's a big ask, you know, expecting a full on response from people who might only do "real" things once every year or two. I can completely understand the term "incident whore". Hey you need to do stuff to be any good at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X