2018 YAMAHA NIKEN REVIEW ? THE HOLY TRINITY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 YAMAHA NIKEN REVIEW ? THE HOLY TRINITY

This cannot be right. It?s not a motorcycle. It?s dual front-wheel set-up offends my highly-developed motorcycle purity gland. How dare Yamaha even produce such a thing, then presume upon my purity by taking me to New Zealand and letting me ride it? And would I even be riding it? Surely it would be more akin to driving? What possible relationship could this abomination have with heroic lean-angles, sorcerous counter-steering, and the salty tang of centrifugal force? These are, after all, the very DNA of motorcycles. And this, friends and relatives, is not a bloody motorcycle, is it? Except it really kind of is. And it?s a bloody great one at that. Read the whole article here https://www.bikeme.tv/index.php/2018...-holy-trinity/

182212_Yamaha_Niken_0736.jpg
    Attached Files
    SINNERS MCC AUSTRALIA
    If we believe in “freedom”, we don’t get to choose whose freedom is most worth defending.
    Out of 5 million sperm... your the retard that got through? and I thought I was having a bad day!

Cheers Prickle
    Interesting concept

Comment

Looks interesting, leans like a Spyder doesn't!

What's next, I wonder? Two wheels on the rear as well?
      Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon!
      Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, and save the collapse and tie up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikey View Post
        Looks interesting, leans like a Spyder doesn't!

What's next, I wonder? Two wheels on the rear as well?
        Not like a Spyder at all, Spyders don't lean into corners. This one looks radically different and cool to ride!

Comment

Gosh this all reminds me of something that has been going on all my life.

They said you have to wear a helmet, it'll be better. Yeah right, get stuffed. I went back. Helmet or not, life was better with a motorbike than without. A first lesson in the price of progress for me.

The next bike had mirrors, and turn indicators. There was no choice, really. They were just there. No choice, really.

Then someone thought motorbikes needed liquid cooling. Yeah, right, add fuel injection for good measure. Gosh this is starting to get real complicated. Yeah, well my house has 4 remotes, and it's not even a "smart house."

Add ABS, traction control, cruise control, and all manner of other similar stuff. My home mechanicking isn't going to get much of a look in here.

Add a third wheel and you lose any claim to "motorbike" Call it a three wheeler, a trike or even a (what's that other word for things with the two wheels in front) but a motorbike it is not.

Motorbikes have come a long way in this consumer goods economy. How good is it? I think we'll see in another 30 years. By then, it will be clear what the effect of technological advancement will have. Will there be a series of years' bikes just waiting to get another year older so they can be put on historic rego, OR will they all be destined for the recyclers, for want of some obscure, unobtainable, but essential part what was never ever going to be recreated in a generic version for broad application?

I think the latter.

So while it might seem like a good idea, and clearly would have appeal to a certain type of nerd, I think the truth of it, in the modern world of commerce, is that it is just another brainchild, which pretends to span some sort of a gap while going on to provide the motorcycling public with more choice than they can really comprehend. The choice will be about as popular and as short lived as mobility scooters. Hey, I know one going real cheap - it just needs a set of batteries, oh, and a main board for the controller. Showroom condition. It worked perfectly last time the owner used it.

These things fit perfectly in the, "what the market can bear," economy that I am somehow compelled to participate in, but resist because I really do believe that them that determine what goods are available for sale are making it as hard as they can for anyone to purchase any new item that can actually be fixed, and which won't wear out or otherwise be unserviceable in as short a time as possible, in the interest of maintaining a strong economy in buying a new one sometime soon.

Anyway, I'm a skeptic. I wouldn't buy one just for a ride, look see for myself style. I think if I need to reduce the challenge of motorcycling for myself, I could always buy a SR500 and never be short of parts, and if that becomes a problem, then there is always the good old CT110. Can't get more basic than that. A bike is a bike and these things aren't. Just the front end is enough to give an inclined to service and repair DIYer the horrors. Not for me. Motorcycle tyres are dear enough as it is, I don't want a third one for a start.

And I haven't even started.
          The trick is to grow old. "Growing up" is less important than surviving.

Comment

Working...
          X