Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic Lights Sweet Spot

Trigger the traffic lights, get the green

The State?s peak motoring body has spilled the secret on how drivers could trigger traffic lights at intersections.

It was revealed motorists could save fuel and time by knowing how to activate the ?sweet spot? at signalised intersections so that the lights changed from red to green.

RACQ Head of Technical and Safety Steve Spalding said where drivers positioned their vehicles was the key to a quicker light change.

?Wire loops are embedded in cuts in the road and detect when a vehicle is above and signal when the lights are to change. Vehicles that sit directly above the cuts trigger the lights better than those that sit outside of them,? Mr Spalding said.

?Basically, the loops are trying to detect metal so it can be harder for motorcycles to get picked up.?

RELATED: ?Hold the red? technology could prevent crashes

Mr Spalding said motorists should also avoid leaving large gaps between vehicles when stopped at a set of lights.

?The more metal the loops can detect, the greater chance a driver has of being able to sway the phasing of the lights,? he said.

?It?s also important for motorists to maintain a steady flow of traffic as they travel through intersections so other drivers in the queue have a better chance of making it through on the green.?

https://live.racq.com.au/2019/01/tri...ZY6IQ3rWnTKA34

SINNERS MCC AUSTRALIA
    If we believe in “freedom”, we don’t get to choose whose freedom is most worth defending.
    Out of 5 million sperm... your the retard that got through? and I thought I was having a bad day!

Originally posted by Prickle View Post

so other drivers in the queue have a better chance of making it through on the green.?

HaHaHa Fuggem if they're behind me
    I just called, to say........go get pharked

Comment

Here is an issue, though while it HAS affected me a time or two - I knew about the loops, it was 2 AM or something like that and you know, I just couldn't get the light to change to green my way.

Haul me away in chains, I "ran"* the light in the end, after trying everything I could think of, short of calling a taxi to run over the coils for me.

* "ran" Hey there was NO traffic the way I was going, or in the opposite direction, so nobody came down the road to face the light the same way as me to trigger the light for me. I must've taken 5 minutes, maybe 10, even doing a couple of "ueys" to line up another position. Nothing worked.

...that was on my last trip to Gympie just before the snow. If you ever need to go there, be sure to let me know... (credit and apologies to N. Young, but that is how it sticks in my mind. )
      The trick is to grow old. "Growing up" is less important than surviving.

Comment

Originally posted by Jstava View Post
        ...that was on my last trip to Gympie just before the snow.
        Snow in Gympie ????
        How long ago was that JS?

I just called, to say........go get pharked

Comment

RACQ don't know shit from clay
          Dont get me confused with someone who gives a fuck

Comment

Originally posted by Prickle View Post

?It?s also important for motorists to maintain a steady flow of traffic as they travel through intersections so other drivers in the queue have a better chance of making it through on the green.?

Is that the near queue or the "more distant" one, the far queue?

Comment

Working...
            X