Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Stranger

Went for a ride with three complete strangers yesterday ..... it was good

My son Kael had been to visit and mentioned he had a friend who had moved back to Collie and didn't have anyone to go for a burn with so I friended the guy on facebook and we organised to meet up at 9:00am at the Caltex in Collie . His mate was coming down from Harvey to join us .
    I've just sold a couple of Ford utes via the internet and have come to the realization .... no one phones you anymore it's all texting and being an audio man this robs me of the ability to pick up any nuances of character .

Just before I left home I'd sort of washed the Speedmistress (bit of a half effort) and packed the wet weather gear as we'd had rain the day before . Up on the main stand for some chain lube which I managed to get on my hands and not wanting to be a grub I had to really resist wiping them on my clean jeans .... lucky I have some liquid solvol for moments like these .

Anyway I'm in town stress level medium to low simmering not knowing what the day will bring . I checked my tire pressure and it was getting close to 9:00 then I hear engines . They cruise in , not stopping at the pumps . Rob had told me he was riding a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 custom and his mate had a Harley .... 2018 model Lowrider Softail I kid you not .... Harley must be struggling in the creative dept. This was ridden by Robin an old friend from school of Rob .

I had suggested a spin to Bridgetown (always scenic) but after thinking about it the Bridgetown Blues are on this weekend and being Wednesday I thought the street would be probably blocked off so I suggested we go to Boyup Brook get some steaks , a couple of cans of liquid refreshment and go out to Lake Towerninnin use their public barbeque and return to Collie via Bowelling .. that'd work.

Had to meet up with another guy Deon on an 06 Dyna he's owned from new . Quick stop over at the Mumby Pub .

When we got to Boyup Brook we bought steaks at the local IGA but the pub doesn't open till 12:00 and it's around 10:00ish ... fuck it back to plan A . Bridgetown . Rob's Kawasaki has Cobra pipes and has a great note , plenty of get up and go too . As we came into Bridgetown a Police station wagon was coming out of a driveway just after the 80k sign and he followed us into town , we came to a T intersection I was in the lead , right turn to go into town I noticed a liquor store on the other side of the road kind of off to the left a little and we needed booze mainly , we had all the other picnic ingredients . This was way better than trying to park near a pub in town , then we made our way to a lovely shaded public barbie down by the river .

Steaks buns burbouns and beers ....... Luxury

We headed back through Ballingup and split up at Kirrup us three going the Sandhills / Charlie Creek rd route to Mumbalup and Deon continuing on to Donnybrook .

I enjoyed it ..... we may do it again . Robin and Deon both work fly in fly out so we'll see what happens .

These guys are all about 40ish but that don't matter .
    Last edited by Silky; 8th November 2018, 10:04 PM.
    Earth Child - In harmony with the planet

A good ride and new friends. Sounds like a good was had Silky.
    Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Silky View Post

These guys are all about 40ish but that don't matter .

40ish does sound like a long time ago but you don't have to make us feel, 'that old'

Comment

Originally posted by alanmc View Post
        A good ride and new friends. Sounds like a good was had Silky.
        Allan
        It's good to keep it down to 4 to 6 bikes max sometimes I think , the other thing is with a lot of the bigger get together's now days most of them are fund raisers so you have to donate to some worthy cause which is fine when you are working on the mines or fly in fly out lots of money to splash around on your down time . Not me I'm Mr tight arse now days go low profile . I regret not taking a camera .

Mental note to self .... take camera and barbie tools next time , be like a boy scout , be prepared

Feeling pretty good at the moment , was woken up this morning with a scratching sound on the wall below the window in the room I was occupying .... went outside sounded like it was inside , turned out it was just an earth tremor . Read on facebook 5 hours later it was an earthquake that lasted about 20 secs .
        I remember mumbling something like "what the fuck was that " and going back to bed thinking nothing more about it really (It was about 5:10am)
        Last edited by Silky; 10th November 2018, 04:30 AM.
        Earth Child - In harmony with the planet

Comment

Sounds like you had a most excellent outing, Silky.

It is good to ride with SMALL groups of complete strangers. Large groups give me the willies - too many variables and range of variation. It all gets to be just the exact opposite of relaxing, with so much to keep an eye on.

I often forget that my phone takes perfectly good pics, though it lacks many camera features. On the other hand, I WILL have it with me and it is easy and it takes up no additional space. I'm finding that I use it more and more, but need to sit down once a week or so and delete a lot of pics that I don't really want. There is also the issue with posting pics from the phone to here. I would normally use the desktop computer to select and do any light editing, but I find the phone is a bit painful in that regard (I clearly don't have the right app) Facebook makes it easy, but that is often not what I want to do.

Anyway, thanks for the ride report.
          The trick is to grow old. "Growing up" is less important than surviving.

Comment

Originally posted by Jstava View Post
            Sounds like you had a most excellent outing, Silky.

It is good to ride with SMALL groups of complete strangers. Large groups give me the willies - too many variables and range of variation. It all gets to be just the exact opposite of relaxing, with so much to keep an eye on.

I often forget that my phone takes perfectly good pics, though it lacks many camera features. On the other hand, I WILL have it with me and it is easy and it takes up no additional space. I'm finding that I use it more and more, but need to sit down once a week or so and delete a lot of pics that I don't really want. There is also the issue with posting pics from the phone to here. I would normally use the desktop computer to select and do any light editing, but I find the phone is a bit painful in that regard (I clearly don't have the right app) Facebook makes it easy, but that is often not what I want to do.

Anyway, thanks for the ride report.
            I completely agree regarding large ride groups.
            I used to ride in a number of "poker runs" and witnessed way to many accidents/near misses particularly after the third or fourth "watering stop"

There are a few ways to transfer files from your phone to PC.
            DON'T use Bluetooth unless you have a day to spare. It is the most temperamental technology around.
            I plug my phone into PC using a USB cable and it appears as an extra drive. Easy Peazy.

Comment

Working...
            X